History of the Office

Bill R. Path

2011 – Present

Bill R. Path

Dr. Bill R. Path became the fourth president of OSU Institute of Technology in November 2011 and has since initiated an ambitious strategic plan to provide advanced technical education to enhance OSUIT’s position in meeting global workforce demands.

Under his leadership, OSUIT has strengthened industry partnerships, developed innovative agreements to drive international relationships, and joined the educational ranks of key national organizations such as the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) Manufacturing Institute Educational Council, the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) Commission on Global Education, and the National Coalition of Certification Centers (NC3) to set the standards for modern technical education models domestically and abroad.

Since June 2013, Path has been a regular contributor to The Huffington Post, an online news and opinion site. His topics include higher education, workforce training and the skills gap.

Path previously served as president of Northeast Community College in Norfolk, Nebraska, for ten years. Under his guidance, Northeast Community College expanded facilities and curriculum, enhanced student services, and strengthened community outreach. Path has also served as vice president for academic and student affairs at Aims Community College in Greeley, Colorado, and as vice president of student services at Northeast Community College. He has held positions at Northwest Arkansas Community College in Bentonville, Arkansas; at Kingwood College in Kingwood, Texas; and at North Harris County College in Houston, Texas.

With degrees in Bible and educational psychology counseling and a doctorate in higher education administration, Path is also the author of a motivational/metaphysics book titled Moments of Forever: Discovering the True Power and Importance of Your Life.


Robert E. Klabenes

1983 – 2011

Robert Klabenes

Dr. Robert E. Klabenes became the third and longest serving president at OSUIT with a goal to elevate the quality of facilities, raise the professionalism of staff and faculty, and expand degree-granting programs.

Under his leadership, the campus underwent a dramatic change: remaining wooden barracks and outdated structures were replaced by modern, state-of-the-art buildings for classrooms and residence halls that were comparable in quality with major college campuses.

Numerous buildings were constructed during his tenure; in all, a total of more than $150 million in new construction and remodeling projects. Klabenes also led the effort for the establishment of the Bachelor of Technology degree, and countless business partnerships with national and international corporations. He was an innovative academic leader focused on advancing technology and the preparation of students to achieve high-paying careers.


Wayne W. Miller

1963 – 1983

Wayne W. Miller

Wayne W. Miller became the second director for Oklahoma State Tech on September 1, 1963 after serving in several capacities over sixteen years.

The College was granted accreditation as an operationally separate entity by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools in 1975, and in July of 1979 the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education approved the awarding of degrees.

During a time when state and campus resources were scarce, Miller oversaw the construction of nine new educational facilities, the renovation of several more, and the addition of millions of dollars of equipment for student use. Enrollment in 1983 peaked at more than 3,500 students. Effective marketing slogans of this era included “Educating Hand and Mind” and “Education You Can Bank On.”


L. Keith Covelle

1946 – 1963

L. Keith Covelle

L. Keith Covelle was named as the first director for the Oklahoma A&M College School of Technical Training which opened October 1946.

Covelle had a deep ingrained philosophy of learning-by-doing and saw a great need to increase the benefits of society by preparing young people for the work-a-day world as skilled technicians.

Operating initially without charging students tuition, the College trained students in six general disciplines including Foods, Industrial Trades, Business, Related Subjects, Agriculture and the College Division. The first graduation ceremony was held on January 14, 1949.

Said Covelle to his many friends and colleagues who gathered for his retirement: “I built the foundation. It’s up to you to continue to build this great school.”