Education Benefits

Applying for VA Education Benefits

  • Your first step is to submit your initial application for benefits electronically to the Veterans Administration. (EXCEPTION: Applicants for Chapter 31 must meet with a USDVA counselor). Initial application procedures can be found at by clicking on the “Apply for Benefits” button.
  • If you have specific questions regarding the type of education program you are eligible for or application procedures, please contact the US Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551, or go the USDVA website at
  • Once the application has been submitted, you will receive two copies of the “Certificate of Eligibility” from the Veteran’s Administration. Bring one copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veteran Services office located in the Grady Clack for further processing.

Benefit Programs

Eligibility criteria and benefits vary for veterans’ education benefit programs from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). Monthly stipends, eligibility periods, and documentation required are described in the links below.

     Military Tuition Assistance Programs

Tuition Assistance programs may be offered through the various branches of the military. For more information on these programs, students should contact the Education Service Officer (ESO) of their unit.


The university’s Office of Veteran Services is required to have specific information on file for each veteran-student, in order that the veteran can be “certified” by academic calendar dates and credit hours of enrollment.

  • For receipt of VA education benefits throughout your academic career, you will be required to complete a Veterans Advisory Form each semester.
  • Chapter 30, 1607 and 1606 recipients must verify enrollment with the VA at the end of each calendar month before receipt of payment for that month. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or call 1-877-823-2378.
  • Students will also need to fill out the following forms their first semester or when information changes:

Military Education Transfer Credit

OSUIT awards credit as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE), as published in “The Guide to the Evaluation of Military Experiences in the Armed Services,” for selected educational experiences provided by the armed forces. Veteran students utilizing VA benefits are REQUIRED to submit any and all prior credit not limited to but including military credit.

Websites for military credit:

Class Attendance

Class attendance is required in order to receive education benefits under any of the veterans benefit programs. Receiving a letter grade of “F” in a course for non-attendance will require student repayment of veteran’s education benefits. Also, receipt of an “I” (incomplete) grade will require that the student complete the “I” grade removal conditions within one calendar year in order to avoid repayment of education benefits.

Dropping classes and changes in original enrollment schedules can also affect payments received for education benefits. Before making any schedule changes, it is important to first consult the Veterans Benefits Services office in order to avoid/lessen the potential financial impact. If challenges arise in classes that could impact final grades received, contact the Veterans Benefit Services office regarding possible tutoring options and other available resources.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at